This has been sitting in the ASIP vaults for quite some time now – a DJ mix I recorded about three years ago featuring some of my all time favourite tracks, most of which inspired me to set-up this site. My friends CDJ’s were on loan and together with my turntables, I set off with the aim to complete my first ‘downtempo’ DJ set, recorded live with no computer intervention whatsoever.
I spent half the morning trawling through my favourites, sorting by BPM and putting in to some kind of coherent order and was expecting tens, if not thousands of attempts before I got this right. Luckily, it was done in one go – probably the biggest fluke of my life considering the amount of intro’s I looped and my relative inexperience using CDJ’s.
You’ll likely recognise all the tracks here, so I’m hoping you enjoy the overall flow of the mix as well as the classics I’ve included. I was going to talk through each track but seeing as most of you have been following this blog for a while now, you probably already know what I would say about music like this... no surprises here.
I hope you enjoy it.
1. Aphex Twin – Rhubarb
2. Underworld – To Heal
3. Global Communication – 14.31
4. DJ Shadow – Blood on the Motorway
5. Ulrich Schnauss – Between us and them
6. Boards of Canada – Dayvan Cowboy
7. Bibio – Cherry Blossom Road
8. Honeyroot – State of mind
9. Thievery Corporation – Shaolin Satellite
10. James Bong – Never Say?
11. Aim – Cold Water Music
12. Boards of Canada – Happy Cycling
13. Ulrich Schnauss – A letter from home
14. 7 Hurtz – Malibu
15. Biosphere – Kobresia